May 3, 2023
Your child's school
Tacoma, WA 98405
National Bike & Roll to School Day
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Description from City of Tacoma's website:
Walk & Roll to School Events
Across the country, schools and communities celebrate Walk to School Month in October, and Bike to School Month in May. Schools can hold Walk and Roll to School events during these months or at other times to celebrate and encourage walking, biking, and actively rolling to school! Actively rolling refers to using a mobility device that rolls, scooting, skateboarding, and more.
Walk & Roll to School Days help to:
- Promote physical activity and encourage healthy habits.
- Improve air quality around schools by reducing traffic congestion.
- Build community with neighbors and other school families.
- Raise awareness and improve safety of students on their trip to and from school.
Plan Your Walk & Roll to School Event
Use the following resources to help you plan a Walk & Roll to School event at your school. Some resources are available in multiple languages. Some resources are different for elementary schools and middle schools.
Bike to School Day (May)
- Planning guide for your event - includes tips and activity ideas from local school events.
- Download the Bike to School Day Package that includes:
- Editable flyer and safety tips to print or email to families
- Editable poster to print and post at school
- Template communications with robocall, email/newsletter, and social media content in several languages
- Digital images for social media, newsletters, and websites
- Register your event to receive event incentives!
More education and encouragement ideas are available in the City’s Safe Routes to School Toolkit and the National Center for Safe Routes to School’s Walk & Bike to School website. Email Cailin Henley, Safe Routes to School Coordinator with questions or ideas.