Access Nearby Attractions
Plan your next excursion in Pierce County
Adventure awaits just a ride away! Whether you're a local or a visitor, there are plenty of attractions to explore here. And the best part? You can access them all using public transportation.
Read on for an overview of some of the local attractions you can visit in Pierce County without getting behind the wheel.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Access museums by transit
- Free and discounted museum admissions
- Get museum passes at your local library
- Access south Sound parks by transit
- Tips for planning your excursion, for everyone
ACCESS MUSEUMS BY TRANSIT
You’re a transit ride away from experiencing the history and art at Pierce County's distinguished museums and art galleries. From the Tacoma Art Museum to the Washington State History Museum, there's something for everyone to enjoy.
By taking transit, you can keep your travel costs low. Check out our interactive map below showing Pierce County museums you can access by transit.
Museums are color-coded, with the nearest transit stops marked in the same color. Click on the bus stops to see which routes serve that stop. Have a suggestion for the transit destination map? Please let us know!
FREE AND DISCOUNTED MUSEUM ADMISSIONS
During the third Thursday of each month, select museums around the region offer free admission and often feature special activities. Keep costs down and arrive by transit.
Can't make it during those times? Check out other ways you can visit these museums at a discounted rate:
- Tacoma Art Museum Discount Admissions
- Tacoma Glass Museum Admission Programs
- Washington State History Museum Admission
GET MUSEUM PASSES AT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY
Through the library, you can check out museum and garden passes to a variety of museums:
- In Gig Harbor, you can visit the Harbor History Museum (always free)
- In Lakewood, you can visit the Lakewold Gardens
- In Tacoma, you can visit the Foss Waterway Seaport, Museum of Glass, Tacoma Art Museum and WA State History Museum
ACCESS SOUTH SOUND PARKS BY TRANSIT
So many parks in Pierce County are accessible by public transit. Find your next destination and the nearest bus stops using the interactive map below!
There are many great resources to help you plan your next excursion, such as:
- Pierce Transit Trip Planner - A website to help you plan your next transit trip.
- OneBusAway (phone app) - Get real-time updates to see when your bus/train is coming.
- Pierce Transit Bus Routes - Check out the Pierce Transit page to learn about all the different routes.
See all the parks in and around downtown Tacoma to Puyallup and Steilacoom that you can access by bus service here.
TIPS FOR PLANNING YOUR EXCURSION, FOR EVERYONE
Here are some helpful tips for planning your excursion to the parks and museums in Pierce County:
- Check the opening hours and schedules of the attractions beforehand.
- Use online tools and transportation apps to plan your route and timing.
- Consider accessibility needs and options when planning your trip.
- Bring your ORCA card, plenty of water, snacks, and sunscreen for outdoor activities.
- Don't forget your camera to capture all the memories!