First Time User Guides
Get step-by-step guides for trying a new travel mode in Pierce County
We’re sure you’ve heard how sustainable transportation can benefit your wallet and the environment, but did you know these impactful statistics?
- The American Public Transportation Association found that public transport is 10 times safer than single-occupancy vehicle travel.
- The average commuter can save around $10,000 a year by choosing public transportation over single-occupancy vehicle commute.
- The EPA estimates that about 30% of the U.S. greenhouse gas emissions are from transportation, with 81% of that from vehicles and only 8% from buses and trains — suggesting that a switch to public transport could drastically cut pollution.
- Almost half of the U.S. population live in high-pollution areas. Switching to sustainable travel modes could help everyone breathe cleaner air, contributing to healthier communities.
- People who use public transit are 27% less likely to suffer from high blood pressure and other conditions, thanks to the activity of walking or biking to and from transit stations.
- Walking and biking as a form of active commuting helps you reach the doctor-recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate intensity activity — leading to improved energy, mood, cardiovascular health and brain and body function.
Interested in reaping the benefits of sustainable transportation modes but don’t know how or where to start? We put together these first time user guides to help get you started walking, biking, vanpooling, carpooling, riding the bus, Sounder train, Link light rail and teleworking.
Whether you choose one mode or take a hybrid approach and combine various sustainable travel modes, you benefit your wallet, time and the environment! Read on to discover how to get started using new travel modes.
FIRST TIME BUS RIDER GUIDE
Get step-by-step guidance for taking a trip on the bus, including downloadable guides in Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese and Khmer. Link to all the local bus transit agencies and use a trip planner to plan your route from point A to B. Plus, see answers to questions about bus accessibility.
Explore the First Time Bus Rider Guide
FIRST TIME BIKE RIDER GUIDE
Learn all the basics for getting started as a bike rider, including tips for commuting on a bike, bicycle safety and laws. Access county trail maps and other tools to help you incorporate bike-friendly paths on your route. Connect to comprehensive information about securely locking and storing your bike when you arrive at your destination.
Explore the First Time Bike Rider Guide
FIRST TIME CARPOOLING GUIDE
Get started on your carpool commute by learning about websites and other tools to connect to carpool partners. Read tips for organizing carpool logistics, such as how to split commute costs fairly, how to establish carpool rules and where to find Park-and-Ride lots for the carpool group to meet for the ride.
Explore the First Time Carpooling Guide
FIRST TIME VANPOOLING GUIDE
Discover the many ways to join an existing vanpool or start one of your own. Connect to county transit agency pages for vanpool fare information and learn the different ways you can save on your fare. Explore best practices for joining and etiquette tips to keep your vanpool ride as comfortable and enjoyable as possible for all passengers.
Explore the First Time Vanpooling Guide
FIRST TIME FOOT TRAVELER GUIDE
Whether walking to work, between transit, to run errands or to popular destinations, walking is the cheapest and healthiest way to get around! Discover walking trails and trip planners, pedestrian laws and safety tips, and how to track your walks to keep you motivated and win prizes!
Explore the First Time Foot Traveler Guide
FIRST TIME SOUNDER TRAIN RIDER GUIDE
From Lakewood to Seattle to Everett, the Sounder train helps you get where you want to be. Learn how to use the trip planner to plan your ride to work, run errands or get to popular destinations. Discover how to pay and where to park your vehicle or bike when you ride. Find tips to maximize your commute and easily transfer between train and bus.
Explore the First Time Sounder Train Rider Guide
FIRST TIME LINK LIGHT RAIL USER GUIDE
Link light rails extend the Sounder train service and our guide helps you plan your trip with the trip planner, routes and schedules. Learn how to buy your ticket for the 1 Line from Angle Lake to Northgate, or take advantage of the Tacoma T Line’s free service through fall 2023! Explore bike and car parking options for arriving at the station, guidelines for riding responsibly, and learn about accessibility on the Link.
Explore the First Time Link Light Rail User Guide
FIRST TIME TELEWORKING TOOLKIT
Discover the benefits of teleworking, or work from home, for businesses, employees and the environment. From offering better work-life balance to employees to being a green option that saves employees and employers money, remote work is full of perks. Learn how to set yourself, your team, and your business up for success when working in a remote environment.
Explore the Teleworking Toolkit